Fifteen Steps That Can Make A Big Difference After A Car Accident
The steps you take after a car accident can have a significant impact on an ensuring personal injury claim. At Stoudt Law Ltd., in Stillwater, we are strong advocates for people who have been injured in motor vehicle accidents in the Twin Cities and throughout surrounding areas.
We offer the following 15 steps as commonsense guidelines on what to do if you have been in a car accident:
- Stay calm. Take a deep breath.
- Turn on your hazard lights to avoid getting hit again.
- Observe your surroundings. Are you in danger? Are you or your passengers injured?
- Figure out what happened. Take a moment to remember the sequence of events before, during and after the collision. You will be more credible if your story is consistent.
- Call the police. A police report will prove helpful going forward. Be courteous and cooperative when they arrive.
- Take pictures of the accident scene, including your car, every other car involved, damage to the vehicles, road, traffic and weather conditions and injuries.
- Document the vehicles, including the year, make, model, color and license plate of every vehicle involved.
- Document the drivers, including their names, addresses and which vehicles they were driving. If possible, take a picture of their insurance cards and driver’s licenses.
- Identify any witnesses. If anyone witnessed the accident, obtain their name and contact information. If possible, take a video of them describing what they saw.
- Be conscious of your body and any potential injuries. Are you feeling pain? Take a moment to assess. Sometimes pain is difficult to feel in the shock of an accident.
- Do not accept any offers. The at-fault driver may make promises in exchange for your agreement not to file a claim. Just say NO.
- Write down everything you remember. Record your recollections of every aspect of the accident, including all cars involved and anyone who talked to you after the accident. Make a drawing of where the cars were at the time of the impact.
- Report the accident to your insurance company. Make sure to write down the no-fault claim number they give you. If they ask questions about your injuries, tell them your attorney will get in touch with them.
- See your doctor. If you are feeling any pain at all or just want to make sure you’re all right, make an appointment to see your doctor. Make sure to give your doctor’s office your no-fault claim number.
- Talk to an experienced personal injury lawyer. Before accepting any offers from an insurance company or even talking to them at all, speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer who can protect your rights.
Talk To A Lawyer Who Can Help
Your highest priority after a car accident is making sure you are safe from further harm and getting the medical treatment you need. When you are ready to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney at Stoudt Law Ltd., contact our law offices online or by telephone at 651-359-9887.